Sleeve Gastrectomy in Pune
The Sleeve Gastrectomy is also known gastric sleeve, restricts the amount of food you eat by reducing the size of the stomach. The minimally invasive procedure removes a portion of the stomach, making the stomach roughly the size and shape of a banana with a reduced volume of about 200-250ml which produces a restrictive component.
In addition, the surgery removes the portion of the stomach that produces a hormone ‘Ghrelin ‘ that can make you feel hungry, so you won’t want to eat as much or feel full after eating much less.
This procedure can be an excellent procedure and currently the most common Surgery done worldwide.
For certain patients, in particular, those with a body mass index greater than 60, the sleeve gastrectomy may be the first part of a 2-stage operation. In the staged approach, the operation is broken down into two simpler and safer operations. In the first stage, a sleeve gastrectomy is performed. This allows patients to lose 80 to 100 pounds or more, making the second part of the operation substantially safer. Some people lose enough weight that they do not need any more surgery. For those who continue to the next stage, the second procedure is usually performed eight to twelve months after the first. The “sleeve” stomach is converted into a gastric bypass.
ADVANTAGES: Sleeve Gastrectomy in Pune
- Quicker recovery time No device that needs adjustment is inserted, so the follow-up regimen is not as intense as it is with gastric banding.
- No Supplements required after one year
- Produces 60-70% of excess weight loss in 1-1.5 years
DISADVANTAGES: Sleeve Gastrectomy in Pune
- Sleeve gastrectomy is not adjustable or reversible.
RECOVERY TIMELINE: Sleeve Gastrectomy in Pune
- Hospital stay averages 3-4 days
- Most patients return to normal activity within two weeks
- Full surgical recovery usually occurs within three weeks