Laparoscopic hernia surgery Pune
What is a Hernia?
- A hernia is a gap or space in the strong tissue that holds muscles in place. A hernia occurs when the inside layers of the abdominal muscle have weakened, resulting in a bulge or tear. In the same way that an inner tube pushes through a damaged tire, the inner lining of the abdomen pushes through the weakened area of the abdominal wall to form a small balloon-like sac. This can allow a loop of intestine or abdominal tissue to push into the sac. A hernia can cause discomfort, severe pain, or other potentially serious problems that could require emergency surgery.
- Both men and women can get a hernia.
- You may be born with a hernia (congenital) or develop one over time.
- A hernia does not get better over time, nor will it go away by itself. There are no exercises or physical therapy regimen that can make a hernia go away.
What are common causes of hernia-
Heavy weight lifting
Chronic cough or constipation
Associated with benign enlargement of prostate
Defective collagen in body
Previous surgeries like appendectomy or emergency abdominal surgery
How Do I know If I Have an Inguinal Hernia?
- The common areas where hernias occur are in the groin (inguinal), belly button (umbilical), and the site of a previous operation (incisional).
- It is usually easy to recognize a hernia. You may notice a bulge under the skin. You may feel pain or discomfort when you lift heavy objects, cough, and strain during urination or bowel movements, or during prolonged standing or sitting. Other times a hernia may be detected by your doctor on a routine physical examination.
- The pain may be sharp and immediate or a dull ache that gets worse toward the end of the day.
- Severe, continuous pain, redness, and tenderness are signs that a hernia may be entrapped or strangulated. Another sign of this is if the bulge used to come and go but now is stuck out. These symptoms are cause for concern and you should immediately contact your physician or surgeon.
How is a hernia treated –
Hernias can be treated laparoscopically or by open surgery,use of mesh is the standard of care these days .Laparoscopic surgery has a advantage over open surgery in following conditions
Obesity associated with hernia
Patients with diabetes mellitus or connective tissue disorders
Cosmetically concious patient
Bilateral inguinal hernia -laparoscopic repair is the gold standard
Laparoscopy has less pain,early recovery ,less scarring ,better cosmesis
Presize Clinic in Pune is considered to be the best centre for laparoscopic hernia treatment in Pune and Dr Kedar Patil had performed complex ,recurrent hernia surgeries laparoscopically