Hernia – An Overview
A hernia occurs when an internal organ or tissue bulges through an abnormal aperture. Hernias mostly occur within the abdominal cavity, or between the chest and the hips, the internal organ pushes through the weakened region to create a bulge on the external area of the body. It may or may not portray visible symptoms and requires medical diagnosis by your nearby Hernia specialist.
What are the common causes of Hernia?
A hernia is conducive to discomfort, swelling, and pain, and usually occurs more regularly in men than in women. Leading Hernia surgeon at Presize clinic states that there are several risk factors for the emergence of Hernia. A few of them are mentioned below:
- Persistent coughing or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- A congenital condition emanates during the development of a baby in the womb and is present from birth.
- Grueling exercises
- Ascites; excess abdominal fluid
Other reasons for the weakening of muscles may include poor nutrition, defective collagen in the body, or open surgeries in the past.
What are the different types of Hernia that can occur?
There are different types of hernias that can occur. As one of the most preferred centers for Hernia Surgery in Pune Presize clinic offers comprehensive treatment for all types of Hernia. Some of the major types of hernia that arise in an individual are:
- Inguinal Hernia – This is the most common type of hernia occurring in males and females. The other name for Inguinal hernia is Groin Hernia. Inguinal Hernia is further of two types: Indirect Inguinal Hernia usually seen as a congenital condition or early adult life , and Direct Inguinal Hernia which usually occurs in males in midlife or late.
- Femoral Hernia – This is another type of groin hernia albeit, is rather uncommon and occurs as a painful lump near the groin or inner thigh region which causes ache and discomfort. This type of hernia is more common in females due to the wider pelvis.
- Umbilical Hernia – Umbilical Hernia is caused due to intestinal protuberance that results in a bulge in or around one’s belly button. Umbilical Hernias can also occur in adults due to obesity, ascites, or pregnancy which are the major concerns for the weakening of the umbilical cicatrix.
- Incisional Hernia – Incisional Hernia, as the terminology suggests, is caused due to impaired or incomplete healing of a surgical wound. More common in patients who had wound infections, obese, and patients operated for open surgery.
- Hiatal Hernia – This hernia occurs when a part of the stomach bulges through the diaphragm into the chest cavity and results in a burning sensation in the midchest. More common in the elderly.
Other hernias are listed below:
- Epigastric Hernia
- Spigelian Hernia
- Richter’s Hernia
- Ventral Hernia
Common Problems Due to Hernia
Usually, Hernias are not noticed in the early part of the disease process, it may be seen as a bulge which reduces when the person rests which is known as a reducible hernia, in some persons however it may not reduce which is known as an irreducible hernia.
A hernia may be accompanied by acute pain. This needs to be immediately shown to a surgeon as it could be an obstructed or strangulated hernia and should be immediately treated to avoid serious complications.
When should one opt for a Hernia Surgery?
Dr. Kedar Patil is one of the most referred hernia specialists in Pune due to his vast experience in the treatment of hernia. Therefore, if you identify hernia symptoms and are considering approaching an expert in the medical field at Presize clinic we welcome you with assistance and expert professional guidance to treat
How is Hernia diagnosed?
A simple clinical examination and in a few cases ultrasound or CT scan is required to diagnose a hernia. Your doctor usually can detect a hernia by conducting a physical examination. He/she also might order tests to further assess your condition and the cause of Hernia.
- An ultrasound test is one such test that uses sound waves to scan your body which is easily available.
- A Computed Tomography (CT) scan is sometimes done to assess complicated hernias.
- An MRI may be useful in the detection of early hernias when it is not seen but there is pain or discomfort common as in Sportsman Hernia.
- An Endoscopy studies your esophagus and stomach using a small camera at the end of a flexible tube is useful in diagnosing a hiatus hernia.
What are the different types of treatment available for Hernia?
Hernia gives rise to several complications including, but not limited to, inflammation, strangulation, bowel obstruction, and hemorrhage.
Surgery- Medically, it is advised to repair most hernias to avoid further risks and complications like intestinal strangulation.
Benefits of Hernia Surgery
Following are the benefits of Hernia Surgery:
- Easement of pain
- Reduced discomfort
- Healthier body
Hernia Surgery Procedures at Presize Clinic
Surgery is the best treatment for most abdominal hernias. There are two types of surgeries available to treat hernia:
- Open Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery
Which treatment option to choose can be decided after consulting a Hernia Specialist. Presize Clinic is uniquely dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of hernia. Dr. Kedar Patil who is the Lead Hernia surgeon at Presize Clinic provides expert guidance and comprehensive treatment to each patient who visits the clinic. Laparoscopic surgery has an advantage over open surgery for a hernia in the following conditions:
- Obesity-associated with hernia
- Recurrent hernia
- Large hernia
- Patients with diabetes mellitus or connective tissue disorders
- Cosmetically conscious patient
- Bilateral inguinal hernia – laparoscopic repair is the gold standard
How long does it take to perform Hernia surgery?
Surgical time varies as per the severity of the hernia. It’s a quick and safe procedure in most instances.
Precautions to be Taken Before and After Hernia Surgery
It is advised to refrain from smoking and avoid an unhealthy diet before surgery. After Hernia Surgery, a person can start walking within a day or two and resume routine activities after 10 days. However, hernia surgeons recommend that a patient should refrain from strenuous activities for 3 months.
What are the risks associated with Hernia Surgery?
Hernia Surgery is a low-risk procedure. Depending on the type of hernia, patient and surgery performed, Hernia surgeons usually inform that the following complications may arise of which the incidence is very low
- Testicular Pain
- Wound Infection
- Seroma; a liquid lump that arises due to accumulation of clear fluid
Bowel or vascular injury may occur in some cases that is why it is highly recommended to seek the guidance of professionals and experts who have high success rates in Hernia Surgery.
How long is the recovery period after hernia surgery?
Ideally, recovery takes 2 to 3 weeks, although it is highly recommended to not indulge in vigorous and strenuous activities for a longer period. Therefore, medical supervision and timely visits to your surgeon can help in early recovery.
What are the chances of recurrence of Hernia after the surgery?
After Hernia Surgery the odds of recurrence of Hernia range within 3 10%. A hernia generally recurs due to the following reasons:
- Infection of wound
- Avoiding restful periods and engaging in a vigorous routing too soon after the surgery
- Incorrect placement of mesh.
Incorrect surgeries can be avoided by consulting experts with good experience in performing surgeries. At Presize clinic, we are a team of highly Qualified Hernia surgeons, who provide the most reasonable care to the patients.
Why should you choose Presize Clinic for Hernia surgery?
All hernias are diagnosed at Presize Clinic which is led by Dr. Kedar Patil who has experience of over 10 years in Laparoscopic Surgery which makes him one of the best and the most experienced hernia surgeons in Pune.
Hernia Surgery can be done precisely with the help of our experts. Presize Clinic is a renowned name for laparoscopic hernia surgery in Pune, we continuously strive to undertake the most advanced techniques in treating patients, so that patients are back to their everyday activity at the earliest. Our hernia specialists provide effective surgical treatment for all variants of hernia.
At Presize clinic, we are committed to providing the most advanced hernia treatment at an affordable cost. You can book an appointment with Dr. Kedar Patil. He will examine you in detail and provide an explanation for the whole process. We are always open to recommendations or feedback on how it could be better.
Presize Clinic is considered to be the best Hernia clinic in Pune due to the following reasons:
- Professionals with the expertise of 10+ years.
- Amiable and supportive staff.
- Unbiased care and support for every patient.
- Conveniently located at Central Pune.
- Affordable costs.
What is the cost of Hernia surgery?
The cost of hernia surgery varies depending on the type of surgery, clinic, location, and medical condition of the patient. We at Presize Clinic have one of the finest infrastructures solely dedicated to offering the best hernia treatment in Pune. We offer the most affordable hernia treatment as this is the reason why patients from across the country visit our clinic for guidance and treatment.